Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Scary Movie Day

In honor of Halloween, I thought I'd put together my own list of scary movies. I do so because I've seen a number of such lists (or TV shows on the topic), and thought most of the movies sucked. In fact, most "horror movies" are simply awful - neither scary nor worth two hours of my time.

The requirements for my list are: 1) The villains don't make you laugh, 2) No rooting for the victims to die/more blood and gore, 3) Actually scare me - not just surprise or shock me - and tend to keep me scared well after the movie.

Here are the big winners:

5. Attack of the Killer School Buses - OK, I don't really remember the name of this film, and it probably wouldn't scare me today. But we had to watch this film on school bus safety in 2nd grade - all I remember is school buses killing and maiming kids; kids dropping school books under the bus and reaching to pick them up as the bus starts rolling ... just about the worst way to die. I had nightmares for months afterwards, and wouldn't ride the bus for the next few days.

4. Blair Witch Project - marginal inclusion on this list, but the final scene freaks me out, it made me nervous walking back after the movie, and it makes woods very frightening.

3. The Others - The pictures of the dead scenes just freak me out.

2. Psycho - The masterpiece, unfortunately most horror films are poor imitators. I can't determine whether the shower scene, the staircase scene, or the basement scene scare me more. The fact that the villian is a real (albeit crazy) person, and not some supernatural undead creature, makes it scary. The picture to the left alone is enough to make me a little frightened to take a shower.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird. I take a lot of grief over this one, so allow me to justify my choice:
  • The scary scene involves kids - kids in danger always make it scarier.
  • The scary scene occurs well into the movie - after the audience has come to know and love the characters.
  • The movie is not designed as a "scary movie" but a drama - which doesn't allow you to prepared to be scared. Plus the music is very peaceful - until they get attacked
  • The villain is real - a drunk, mean racist.
  • The setting is a very common, naturally scary theme - at night, dark, in the woods, very quiet, sounds of someone following you.
  • Adult Scout begins the narration with "Thus began our longest journey together" ... eerie.
  • The sounds of footsteps then the "AAAAGGHH" just before they are attacked are terrifying.

Click here to watch, if you are prepared to be mortally frightened.

No comments: