Monday, January 07, 2008

Why I Like Rudy

Before I go into why am supporting Rudy Giuliani for president like me make a couple of statements. One – none of the candidates would qualify as my ideal choice. I don't like McCain on taxes or free speech, don't like Romney on socialized health care and being a big phony, am not sure if Thompson is still alive or is being carted around like in Weekend at Bernie's, and Ron Paul is a bit nutty. Huckabee is the worst of the bunch – I wouldn't vote for him in a general election, and I would vote "anybody but Huck" if Giuliani isn't the guy.

Second, I predicted some time ago (late 2006) that Giuliani would be president, and I would like to be right about a prediction like that (I also predicted Obama would beat Hillary).

But I also have policy reasons for liking Giuliani. Let me first talk, though, about where I disagree with Rudy – namely on abortion – which seems to be where I have most of my arguments in defending Rudy.

Abortion

There is good Townhall.com article by Andrew Tallman that I would refer to, as he articulates this point as well or better than I. Tallman contends that "Whereas Clinton is truly pro-abortion, Giuliani is truly pro-choice." In other words, while Giuliani is not an ideal candidate for the pro-Life movement, there is a sharp contract to a Giuliani presidency and that of a Clinton presidency in terms of protecting the life of the unborn.

Let me explain further—Giuliani is not committed to retaining Roe v. Wade (though he is not committed to overturning it either) and though would not ban abortion if Roe v. Wade overturned, he would leave that ability states. In contrast Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama insist that abortion is fundamental right of women and that protection "abortion rights" is critical to their campaign. Rudy seems to be somewhat ambivalent (or indifferent) on abortion, whereas abortion on demand is critical to campaigns of Hillary and Obama.

Giuliani supports a ban on partial birth abortion, and supports parental notification. Hillary Clinton opposes any restriction on abortion, and decried the Supreme Court ruling which upheld the partial birth abortion law (i.e. look for a repeal push in a Clinton presidency).

Furthermore, as a Republican, Giuliani will always need support among social conservatives (in Congress, for re-election, and for grassroots support), while any Democratic president will owe their election to NARAL, NOW, etc.

I have also contended that the next president will not be able to do much to restrict abortion, other than in terms of appointing judges. Thus, I would contend that the differences between the Republican candidates on abortion are really not that important.

Do I think that Giuliani is being genuine in his pledge to "appoint strict constructionist judges"? Yes, and I certainly feel better on the abortion issue know that Ted Olson is his primary legal advisor (and would likely be his first Supreme Court nominee or would lead that process).

Other Social Issues

For some social conservatives, Rudy's position on gay marriage is key – not for me. As best I understand it, Giuliani supports civil unions, but not same sex marriage (the same position as President Bush). Giuliani does not support a federal amendment to the constitution to define marriage, and neither do I (which part of the Constitution would you "amend"? If the problem is "activist judges" making law, deal with the problem, which is activist judges, not gays getting married). Even so, the issue of gay marriage isn't what drives the vote.

Some of those I argue with contend that nominating Giuliani will "tear the Republican party apart". I think not. First, I hope that many conservatives agree with me and would support Giuliani for the reasons stated above. But furthermore, I still believe the soul of the GOP is a party of fiscal restraint, of limited government, and of free market principles.

I say it is time we do away with "big government conservatism."

I don't think I can stress this enough. Republicans lost in 2006 because they abandoned fiscal conservatism. Some wonder what will happen in 2008 if economic conservatives stay home. And this is why I have stated that Mike Huckabee is the worst possible choice for president. Here is George Will on that subject:

Huckabee's campaign actually is what Rudy Giuliani's candidacy is misdescribed as being -- a comprehensive apostasy against core Republican beliefs. Giuliani departs from recent Republican stances regarding two issues -- abortion and the recognition by law of same-sex couples. Huckabee's radical candidacy broadly repudiates core Republican policies such as free trade, low taxes, the essential legitimacy of America's corporate entities and the market system allocating wealth and opportunity. And consider New Hampshire's chapter of the National Education Association, the teachers union that is a crucial component of the Democratic Party's base.

And here is some more on that issue, and a Wall Street Journal column on Mike Huckabee's New Deal, and another on how Huck is the biggest "big government conservative" out there.

Fiscal Policy

I am on the Giuliani bandwagon because I like him on taxes, spending, school choice, health care, and most of the fiscal issues. I like most of his Twelve Commitments (though not his rhetoric on "energy independence") all of which demonstrate fiscal and economic conservatism and a reliance on free markets rather than government programs.

I will add only briefly mention that I like Giuliani on national security issues, though I won't pretend that is my area of expertise or attempt to weigh in on it much at all. I have responded to my friends who argue that Giuliani is only running on 9/11, or that he is only a contender because of being in the right place at the right/wrong time.

I disagree - his campaign (at least the reasons I like him, as described above) is largely about cutting spending, cutting taxes, free market-health care reform, and school choice.

Giuliani's response to 9/11 should be contrasted to the response to Hurricane Katrina. There is a reason why Ray Nagin isn't a presidential candidate.

Also, Rudy was a celebrity mayor before 9/11 because of crime reduction, cutting taxes, the economic gains of NY, his Saturday Night Live appearance, the Yankees' World Series wins, and the Seinfeld episode about the fat-free yogurt.

I will close my case by citing this City Journal article – Yes, Rudy Giuliani is a Conservative.

No comments: