Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Thoughts on Santa Claus

I have often said that, should I have children of my own, I will not lie to them about Santa Claus - particularly the aspect that Santa will, and especially has, made presents for them. I have four reasons supporting this position.

1) Lying: All parents teach their children from a young age not to lie. Lying to them about Santa Claus is clearly hypocritical. I am curious about how parents do tell their kids "you shouldn't lie" respond with their child responds with "but you lied to me for 8 years about Santa Claus."

2) The morality argument: The idea that we can teach children to be good with the Santa myth is short-sighted. It doesn't take a kid long to figure out that some bad kids get great gifts, and many good kids get few...and no one gets coal. They will quickly understand that they can act bad and still get presents - and if the only motivation for morality given them is presents from Santa, they will be bad.

3) The true spirit of Christmas: Rather than tell children that a stranger who sees them when they're sleeping buys them gifts, I want them to know they came from me. I bought them to show my love. That is why I go to work, and make sacrifices. I want them to also buy, make, or give gifts for those they care about. That is the lesson I want them to learn from Christmas.

4) Common Sense: If someone sneaks into your house late at night - Christmas Eve or otherwise - there are certain acceptable reactions. Giving them milk and cookies is not one of them.

No comments: